Thursday, October 2, 2014

Medication Configuration

In an effort to corral the volume of insulin stampeding through my veins, my endocrinologist put me on Metformin. Seems reasonable, and as I had done my research before the formal diagnosis, I wasn't surprised or overly concerned. The dosage seemed appropriate, 500 mg the first week, and then increase to 1,000 mg.

The first week went well. I didn't notice any particular challenge. By the end of the second week, I'd had an anxiety attack and a racing pulse. This anxiety attack didn't feel like a rhinocerose tap dancing on my chest, as prior episodes had. This one felt like a flight response; I wanted to bolt, run as quickly as my heartbeat suggested. For those who don't know me, I'm not a runner. In fact, I'm built for comfort, not for speed. But, I digress.

Just for the heck of it, I purchased a blood pressure monitor. I chose the easy, wrist unit. Up until now, my systolic (the top number) was generally below 119, and my diastolic (bottom number) generally below 79. After a couple of week tracking my blood pressure, I noticed that I was averaging 136/81, which falls into the pre-hypertension range. Ack! Now, how fair is that? I mean, I've made significant lifestyle and diet changes, my blood pressure should be trotting, not racing! Deep breath, okay, I'm done ranting, for the moment, anyway.

I chatted with my Family Practitioner about my blood pressure, and showed him the report from the Glucose Buddy app I use for tracking. Because the clinic's computer system was down, my doctor wasn't able to compare my current information to my historical data. He mentioned that my weight will have an effect on my blood pressure, and asked if I wanted to go on medication to address this. Uh, no. I didn't want to go on another medication until I felt confident that I could pinpoint the underlying issue. Both the doctor and I were happy that I declined.

If I'd been on my toes, I would have pointed out that I weigh less now than I did when I was in his office a few months ago. Why was my blood pressure good then and pre-hypertensive now? If I'd had my problem-solving hat on, I would have asked what changed? However, it was late in the day, I accepted what I was told, and merrily went on my way. But a nagging doubt kept needling my brain. It simply didn't feel right to dismiss my high blood pressure as a result of my weight. I knew that there was more to it than that.

That night I pondered the visit with my doctor before I fell asleep sleep. During the night, some mental filing occurred, along with a bit of cross-referencing and voilĂ ! Magic happened. So, all those things that I wished I had thought about above crystallized, and with that clarity came possibilities and more questions. At my first opportunity, I searched for connections between Metformin and increased blood pressure. I looked at studies and read through documented Metformin side effects. I also found instances on various social media platforms and forums where someone noted the same Metformin/increased blood pressure symptom as I. Somehow, finding real people experiencing the same side effects that I have somehow put me at ease.

Putting it all together

What changed? I introduced a new medication into my body. Shortly after, I increased the dosage of that medication. It was when I increased the dosage that I became symptomatic. A ha!

After discussing it with my doctor, I decrease my nightly dosage to 500 mg. After all, I want to use the lowest dosage possible in which I can achieve the maximum therapeutic level without aggravating or incurring undesirable symptoms.

Updates


Date
Details
10/8/2014 My blood pressure is now below 117/74 and my blood sugar is still low and normal, but now my heart rate is whacked. I'm going to reduce my nightly dose to 250 mg, and see what happens. Check back here for an update. -Kat
10/21/2014 I nixed the Metformin all together. What can I say? My blood pressure is good, but my heart rate is still kind of erratic and tends to run high. Not sure what this means. At least it gives me something to talk about with my endocrinologist next month -Kat


Related Links

No comments: